Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Poetry Educates Perception

Poetry educates perception. The reading of poetry enriches both the deepest visual and auditory sense, which might be described as an overlapping of the senses. The writing of poetry, when criticism is used and skill is invoked as a means of expressing the visions of the world and the auditory ramblings of the wind, among other things, enhances first the ability to discern a text. When I was a Christian I would often read the verse in the Gospels which said, "If your eye is evil your whole body will be full of darkness" as "If your eye is evil your whole soul will be full of darkness." But at the age of 31 I noticed what I was doing wrong. I noticed that I was misreading based on an assumption that the text said something it didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment