Saturday, September 5, 2015

A Response to a Question Concerning Mythology

The screaming babies are the reason Noah gets drunk. He has no choice about them, because, according to the story, God is the one who shuts the door to the ark. Part of the lesson may be that we are powerless in the face of divine action. But I think a better lesson is that sometimes we have to take a stand even if no one joins us. As far as being "socially unacceptable" goes, there are other more plausible stories, such as when the Buddha comes upon a man who is grieving the loss of his only son who died the previous night. The Buddha simply goes up to the man and says, "If you had not been so attached to your son you would not now be suffering." Then there's the story of Jesus walking with his disciples and suddenly saying, "Eat my flesh and drink my blood. For my flesh is true meat and my blood true drink." I don't think either of them was right, but I guess the lesson is that sometimes we have to be brazen. Noah saves his family so they can repopulate the earth. Myths are often violent, indicating that there is an uncontrollable aspect to existence. In that sense, if they weren't violent they would not be accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment