Friday, February 24, 2017

Establishing Reality

Truth is found not merely in the cohesion of two thoughts or in the resolution of a single thought with an external object, but in the cohesion of two thoughts and their joint resolution with an external object or reality. Example: It's a rainy day in February. Rainy days in February are always cold. Then: I walk outside and behold the cold, rainy day. This way of thinking and acting establishes reality. By walking outside I have a kind of epiphany, and when I am struck by the simultaneous collision and resolution of my thoughts and the external reality, I witness truth.

If I am only verifying the correctness of the single thought that it is raining by stepping outside there is no epiphany, only a bland concurrence of reality with my single thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment