Monday, February 13, 2017

Responding to Daniel Dennett

"A brain filled with apps is a human mind." Horse shit. A human being is aware, first, then self-aware. Self-awareness both affirms and denies the existence of different things. All this talk about the human brain and no mention that the brain responds out of a state of awareness, and no mention whatsoever that awareness comes and goes. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. A human isn't just a brain. As my doctor told me, if you were just a brain in a vat it would be easier to treat you, but you have a body also. If there is no free will why can't I predict what you are thinking? On a good day I might be able to predict what you will DO, though usually not, but I am at a complete loss as to what you are thinking. Shouldn't I be able to predict what you are thinking as well as I can predict what you do? If human responses are inevitable there is no such thing as right and wrong, because nothing that is inevitable is immoral. Rain isn't immoral, neither is the explosion of a volcano no matter how many people it kills. And yet the very fact that we have morality means that we acknowledge right and wrong. If some process does not take the path of least resistance then some other variable must have interfered with the process. And yet in theory I can quit smoking even though my brain still wants to smoke! I had considered reading Dennett's book on consciousness, but it would obviously be a waste of time. (And how is it that my brain can distinguish between something that is obvious and something that isn't? Is that a function of intelligence or a function of awareness?) Dumbasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment