Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Way Things Are

For now, consider the ducks in the park.  They squabble over food, but they never worry about the way things are, because they are unaware of death and rebirth.  But I try not to worry about the way things are for different reasons.  I am aware of death and rebirth.  If there is an ultimate good, moksha or nirvana, it is not something I can fully comprehend, except to say that I have felt a brief whiff of it in this life, but it was not something I could maintain.  I can only aim at something I can grasp with my mind.  How can I aim at liberation?  When I have felt it I neither knew where it came from nor how it was arrived at.  The world is dynamic.  While I have a nature, the nature of reality is atman.  Maybe my nature is the same as the nature of reality.  It must be so.  But since I don't know how to arrive at the ultimate state of union I must be satisfied with assuring myself that "the way things are" is simply an illusion.  The present is not the past, and the future is not like the present either, not exactly.

No comments:

Post a Comment